New beginning in the island
Last September finds Tinos full of changes. The new municipal authority has just taken charge with the newly elected Simos Orfanos undertaking the difficult task of being Mayor of Tinos island. Tinos-about has talked with him regarding his plans and goals for the term of office that follows.
- After your election and now that you officially Mayor, which will be the first problem of Tinos that you will deal with straightaway as soon as you will be in charge of the Municipality?
The most important issue created due to the mismanagement and wrong estimations by the outgoing Municipal Authority, is the saturation of solid waste deposition where the garbage baling takes place in our island. Without the substantial intervention of the principal authorities, this issue leads to a dead-end.
- The primary production and livestock farming constitute tradition for the island. Although they were in decline, the last few years seem to show progress little by little. More and more young people are occupied with the specific sectors, probably because of the unemployment that the financial crisis has provoked. In which way you are going to help these people at the mentioned attempt which will also give life again to a significant part of the Tinian tradition?
The primary production is crucial and necessary for Tinos. We are obliged to support and reinforce the agricultural and animal production, apiculture and fishing. For this reason, we will help both young and older people who are occupied in these sectors. So, we will suggest the preparation of an agricultural action plan with directives and recommendations for the most ideal and efficient cultivations per area, modern ways of improving quality and quantity as well as for the decrease of cost of production. At the same time, we will contribute in product promotion through the establishment of a certification system for Tinian products. Also, there will be a serious effort to bring into effect training programs for unemployed fellow citizens regarding the cultivation of biological products – standardization – vegetables trade etc, with aim to be trained and properly prepared for the set-up of social cooperative businesses.
- Tinos is mostly known for the religious tourism. Many people consider that Tinos equals the church of Virgin Mary. However, the island has plenty of beauties and gives the opportunity for alternative activities. The last ones which have nothing to do with the religious element, could become pole of attraction for the tourists, both Greek and foreign. In your opinion, why this doesn’t occur frequently? In which ways tourism may increase and be established in the island? How Municipality can help towards this direction?
Our principal industry is tourism. It’s time tourism was promoted by the professional technocrats so as to have better results. Municipality of Tinos will work towards this direction.
- The creation of a modern port constitutes a hot potato for people of Tinos. What measures will you take in order for the port to be at last able to receive cruise ships?
The completion of the port works, so as at last, Tinos to have a safe and functional port is one or perhaps our most important goal.
The reception of cruise ships in our port constitutes principal issue and we will insist so as the competent authorities to take it into serious consideration when it comes to the design of the port. This happens in order for the businessmen not to have any reasons for not bringing their cruise ships here.
- Tinos is the first island in Greece to have a water airport. This means that communication with other areas of the country will become easier and direct. How important is this action for the future of the island? Does it contribute in the further development of the island as touristic product?
The creation of a water airport constitutes substantial progress for Tinos and tourism because in this way, people will be able to come to the island more easily. I believe that good planning which will be strengthening not only communication with the center but also among the islands, will boost up tourism in Tinos.
- Tinos Festival is one of the most significant cultural events for Cyclades and Greece as well. Do you think that this institution can be reinforced so as to attract more foreign people and if so, in which way?
Indeed, after long efforts from all bodies of our island, Tinos Festival has been established in the conscience of both Tinians and visitors of Tinos. As far as I am concerned, this institution is wide enough to be further developed. It must become deeper, that is to say more qualitative.
- Tinos is considered a quite cultural island. Great artists originate from here while it has long tradition in arts such as marble craft and painting. Therefore, many events take place here all the time but people out of Tinos don’t get to know about them. In your point of view, is there a way for all these events to become widely known and so, Tinos to acquire a purely cultural character?
It’s true that Tinos is a cultural island. I don’t totally agree with you that the events realized in this sector remain within the borders of the island. But I agree that they have to be further promoted because indeed, the visitors of Tinos have to be informed on time so as to take part and enjoy them.
- How do you wish to see Tinos in 5 years time from now? What kind of changes you aim to have realized in the island?
Enemy of good is better. It takes serious effort especially in the middle of the financial crisis that our country faces, in order to manage to create History and Culture within the time that corresponds to us. By the end of this 5year period, I wish to have a plus sign. As for the changes we target in, they are many and substantial such as the administration and management method for Municipality-related topics. We wish for an administration that will be social justice and transparency-orientated through collaborations and with the consent of all participants. I believe that in this way, in spite of crisis, we will succeed a lot.